Yield: 5 1/2 cups sauce Prep 15 mins Cook 21 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, diced
- 1/4 cup small capers, drained
- 6 flat anchovies, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook garlic 1 minute. Add both tomatoes and their juices, olives, capers, anchovies, oregano and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to low.
2. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add parsley. Makes 5-1/2 cups.
Variation Olive and Caper Perciatelli:
Scallop and Shrimp Stew:
- While Tangy Puttanesca Sauce is simmering, boil 1 pound perciatelli in boiling water until firm but tender, following package directions. Drain. Toss sauce with cooked pasta; garnish with additional parsley. Makes 6 servings. Nutrient Value Per Serving: 434 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated), 14 g protein, 71 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 871 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol.
- Cut 4 large summer squash into 1-inch chunks. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning. Roast in a 425 degree F oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, heat Tangy Puttanesca Sauce in large pot. Add 1 pound sea scallops; cook for 2 more minutes. Add 1 pound large cleaned shrimp; cook an additional 3 minutes. Serve squash with Scallop and Shrimp Stew. Makes 6 servings.Nutrient Value Per Serving: 387 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated), 37 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 1,375 mg sodium, 161 mg cholesterol.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 153, Fat, total (g): 9, chol. (mg): 3, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 14, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 4, sodium (mg): 866, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.