1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
2. Add tomatoes in puree, tomato paste, oregano, red pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring. Add basil off heat. Makes 4 cups.Zesty Penne with Ricotta Salata:
3. While Spicy Arrabbiata Sauce is cooking, boil 1 pound penne until firm but tender, following package directions. Drain. Toss with sauce. Grate 1/4 pound ricotta salata on top. Makes 6 servings.
4. Nutrient Value Per Serving: 377 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated), 13 g protein, 62 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber,430 mg sodium, 10 mg cholesterol.Cheese-Topped Sirloin:
5. Make Spicy Arrabbiata Sauce. Slice 3 sweet peppers and 1 large sweet onion into 1/2-inch strips. Saute peppers, onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil for 7 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat, until crisp-tender. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Season 2-1/2 pounds boneless sirloin steak, about 1-inch thick, with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Broil for about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Slice steak, return to pan, top with 1 1/2 cups sauce. Spoon on peppers and onions; sprinkle with 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese. Broil 1 minute to melt cheese. Serve with your favorite vegetable. Makes 6 servings.
6. Nutrient Value Per Serving: 474 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated), 51 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 775 mg sodium, 143 mg cholesterol.