Unlike other ricotta cheeses, ricotta salata is salted and aged, giving it a texture that's firm enough to shred. It's milky, sweet flavor is wonderful in this vegetable and pasta recipe.
1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes or until softened. Add zucchini and squash; saute 10 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, salt, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes; cook 5 minutes.
3. While sauce is cooking, prepare rigatoni following package directions. Drain, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid.
4. Toss drained pasta with vegetables.
5. Shred the 1/4 pound ricotta salata; stir into pasta. Add 1 to 2 cups reserved cooking liquid to pasta to moisten and make a little sauce. Serve with additional ricotta salata on top, if desired. Makes 6 servings.