Servings: 8 Prep 20 mins Cook 15 mins Bake 400°F 20 mins
- 1 box (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot red-pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain; place in large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in medium-size saucepan. Add onion; cook until very tender, 10 minutes. Stir in flour and salt; cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk, stirring, until sauce comes to boiling; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Whisk in cheese, mustard and pepper sauce until smooth. Add mixture to macaroni; toss to blend. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
4. Combine bread crumbs, butter and parsley in small bowl. Sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
5. Bake in 400 degree F oven 20 to 25 minutes, until top is golden.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 487, Fat, total (g): 20, chol. (mg): 42, sat. fat (g): 9, carb. (g): 56, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 20, sodium (mg): 654, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.