Servings: 6 Prep 10 mins Cook 16 mins Stand 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth plus enough water to make total of 4 cups
- 2 cups Florida orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 1/4 cup sherry-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds medium-size shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, sweet red pepper and garlic; saute until the vegetables are softened and tender, for about 4 minutes.
2. Stir in the orzo, chicken broth mixture, orange juice, vinegar and Caribbean jerk seasoning. Bring to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium-low and partially cover the saucepan; simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the shrimp and drained black beans; simmer for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat; cover the pan tightly and let stand for 10 minutes or until almost all the liquid is absorbed and the pasta has a creamy consistency. Stir in the cilantro and serve.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 474, Fat, total (g): 4, chol. (mg): 135, sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 75, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 34, sodium (mg): 578, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.