This ground beef and pasta casserole is a great make-ahead recipe to stash in your freezer. Just be sure to allow a couple days before you need it, so the casserole can safely thaw in the refrigerator.
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and undercooking by 2 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12-cup oven-proof casserole.
3. Mix pasta, sauce, cottage cheese, sour cream, spinach, scallions, salt, pepper in bowl. Spoon into casserole. Top with cheddar. Cover with buttered foil.
4. To freeze unbaked casserole, cool casserole slightly. Cover with with waxed paper, then foil. Refrigerate until cold. Label. Freeze.
5. Bake, covered, in 375 degrees F oven 35 minutes. Uncover. Bake 20 minutes, until temperature registers 150 degrees F.Note:
6. If you have made and frozen the unbaked casserole ahead, transfer to refrigerator 2 days before serving; thaw completely or until no longer icy. To serve, proceed with step 5; remove waxed paper, then re-cover with buttered foil.