Prep 15 mins Cook 38 mins
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 pkg (16 oz) frozen chopped okra, thawed
- 8 ounces kielbasa (from a 13 oz pkg), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 large vegetable bouillon cubes (such as Knorr, from a 2.1 oz pkg)
- 1 1/4 cups white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, sliced in half lengthwise
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add flour and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until lightly browned.
2. Add onion, green pepper, celery and garlic; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, okra, kielbasa, bouillon, rice, cayenne and 10 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 20 minutes with cover ajar. Stir occasionally.
3. Stir in shrimp and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until cooked through.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 182, Fat, total (g): 11, chol. (mg): 69, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 12, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 11, sodium (mg): 750, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.