- 8 ounces dried whole grain spaghetti
- 6 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 15 ounce can no-salt-added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. In a large pot, cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a very large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels. Drain all but 1 Tbs. of the bacon drippings in the skillet. Add the onion and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and heat through. Add the spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until it wilts. Season with crushed red pepper and salt.
3. Add the spaghetti and toss to combine. Add enough of the pasta water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to create a sauce of desired consistency, gently stirring between each addition. Stir in the reserved bacon.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 355, Fat, total (g): 14, chol. (mg): 30, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 39, Monounsaturated fat (g): 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 8, sugar (g): 2, pro. (g): 19, vit. A (IU): 3694, vit. C (mg): 17, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 109, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 588, Potassium (mg): 162, calcium (mg): 60, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.