1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin-pan cups, or use paper liners.
2. Combine flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt in large bowl. Combine egg, milk, applesauce and rind in second bowl.
3. Stir liquid ingredients into dry to combine, 1 minute. Fold in berries. Spoon into prepared muffin-pan cups.
4. Bake in 375 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Gently loosen muffins; turn out onto rack to cool, or serve warm.Apple Muffins:
5. Substitute 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and pinch of ground cloves for lemon rind in blueberry muffins. Substitute 1 cup chopped, peeled apple for the berries.Pumpkin Muffins:
6. Substitute 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and pinch of ground cloves for the lemon rind in blueberry muffins. Substitute 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin puree for berries; stir into liquid ingredients.Banana Muffins:
7. Substitute 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger for lemon rind. Substitute 1 cup mashed bananas for berries; stir into liquid ingredients.Cranberry-Orange Muffins:
8. Substitute 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind for lemon. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar to dry ingredients. Substitute 3/4 cup orange juice for milk; 1-1/2 cups chopped cranberries for blueberries.