Muffins and jelly go so well together so why not bake the jelly right in the muffins? This recipe uses blueberry preserves, but you can use any flavor jelly you wish.
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Place paper muffin liner into each of 12 standard-size muffin cups.
2. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and soda, and salt in large bowl.
3. Whisk buttermilk, butter, eggs and lemon rind in small bowl.
4. Make well in center of flour mixture. Add egg mixture to well; stir into flour mixture just until combined and flour mixture is evenly moistened. Spoon 2 tablespoons batter into each muffin cup. Make indentation in batter with small spoon. Spoon 1 teaspoon preserves in indentation. Spoon remaining batter over top.Topping:
5. Mix butter, sugar and flour in bowl. Stir in walnuts. Divide mixture evenly over tops of muffins.
6. With baking sheet on rack under muffins to catch any drips, bake muffins in 375 degrees F oven 20 to 22 minutes, until toothpick inserted in muffins tests clean. Let cool in pan on rack 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan to rack; let cool.