- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Assorted fruit-flavored rectangular hard candies (such has Jolly Ranchers®), colors separated and finely crushed*
1. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and molasses and beat until smooth. Beat in water until combined. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon. Add flour mixture to beaten mixture; beat on low speed until combined. Divide dough in half. Wrap and chill for 2 to 3 hours or until easy to handle.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with foil; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness. Use a 3- to 3 1/2-inch butterfly-shaped cookie cutter to cut dough. Using a 3/4-inch round cutter, cut a circle from each wing section. Reroll scraps.
3. Arrange butterfly cutouts 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Fill the round cutouts in each butterfly with crushed candy, using a different color in each cutout. Bake for 8 minutes or until edges of cookies are firm and candy is melted. Remove and cool cookies completely on the foil. When cool, carefully peel away from foil.
- To finely crush the candies, place candy in a resealable plastic bag and seal the bag. Place bag with candy on a cutting board. Use a rolling pin to finely crush the candy in the bag.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 40; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 86, Fat, total (g): 1, chol. (mg): 2, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 18, Monounsaturated fat (g): , Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): , sugar (g): 9, pro. (g): 1, vit. A (IU): 49, vit. C (mg): , Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 16, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 73, Potassium (mg): 102, calcium (mg): 20, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.