Servings: 10 Prep 15 mins Bake 350° 20 mins Cool 5 mins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Mix-ins (1/3 cup fresh raspberries and 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces OR 1/2 cup grated carrot and 1/4 cup raisins)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 10 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray; set cups aside. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In another medium bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and oil. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just to combine. Divide the batter between the 2 bowls. Add your favorite mix-ins to half of the batter, and your child's to the other half.
2. Spoon batter into prepared cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes; remove from cups. Serve warm or cool.
- If you don't have buttermilk, you can make it by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice to 1 cup of milk; stir and let stand 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 10; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 80, Fat, total (g): 2, chol. (mg): 21, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 12, Monounsaturated fat (g): 1, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 1, sugar (g): 3, pro. (g): 3, vit. A (IU): 1060, vit. C (mg): 1, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): , Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 5, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 182, Potassium (mg): 87, calcium (mg): 48, iron (mg): , Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.