- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup bulgur
- 3/4 pound ground beef sirloin
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 small whole wheat buns or rolls, split and toasted
- Green or red lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced
1. Place the water in a medium saucepan and bring to boiling over high heat. Add the bulgur; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover; fluff with a fork. Cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the beef, onion, salt, pepper, and bulgur. Shape mixture into 6 1/2-inch thick patties.
3. For a charcoal grill, place the patties on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes or until done (160 degrees F), turning carefully once. (For a gas grill, preheat the grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on the greased grill rack; cover and grill as above.)
4. Serve burgers in buns topped with lettuce, tomato, and avocado.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 265, Fat, total (g): 12, chol. (mg): 27, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 25, Monounsaturated fat (g): 6, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 6, sugar (g): 4, pro. (g): 16, vit. A (IU): 1944, vit. C (mg): 9, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 5, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): 1, Folate (µg): 52, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 371, Potassium (mg): 511, calcium (mg): 61, iron (mg): 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.