Servings: 24 Yield: filling for 24 tamales Active Time 30 mins Total Time 2 hrs
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
1. Season chicken with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook chicken thighs 3 to 5 minutes or until brown, cooking in batches if necessary to prevent overcrowding. Remove chicken; set aside.
2. In same pan cook onions and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, cocoa, cumin, and cinnamon. Cook until onions are coated and spices are fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, raisins, peanut butter and adobo sauce. Stir to combine.
3. Add chicken and its juices to sauce and simmer, partially covered, 1 hour 30 minutes or until tender and easy to shred with 2 forks.
4. Assemble tamales as in the Classic Tamales recipe using 2 Tbs. filling each.
- Filling can be made up to 3 days in advance and can be used cold when filling tamales.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 24; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 180, Fat, total (g): 11, chol. (mg): 30, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 14, Monounsaturated fat (g): 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 2, sugar (g): 1, pro. (g): 7, sodium (mg): 366, Potassium (mg): 166, calcium (mg): 47, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.