Servings: 6 Prep 20 mins Start to Finish 30 mins
- 1/2 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped scallion greens
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 small corn tortillas cut into 4-inch rounds
- 6 slices pepper jack cheese (optional)
- 6 tablespoons salsa
1. Place chips in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Add beans and pulse until ground. Transfer to a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
2. Combine egg and bean mixtures; stir well. Add pepper and scallions, and mix until well combined. Form into 6 patties.
3. Coat both sides of burgers and tortillas, as well as the grill rack (or nonstick skillet), with cooking spray. Cook burgers over medium, turning, until golden brown and cooked through, 3 minutes per side. Top with cheese (if using) and let melt. Grill tortillas for about 2 minutes. Serve on tortilla rounds topped with salsa.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 202, Fat, total (g): 4, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 33, fiber (g): 9, sugar (g): 2, pro. (g): 11, sodium (mg): 553, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.