Servings: 6 Prep 25 mins Cook 40 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 6 cups Pacific low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups barley
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 cups roughly chopped escarole
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 2 minutes. Add broth, 2 cups water and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, mix together ground pork, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, the parsley, 1/4 tsp of the salt and 1/4 tsp of the pepper. Roll into 30 meatballs, about 1 tbsp each.
3. Drop meatballs into soup. Stir in beans. Return to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Stir in escarole and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan, 11/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 450, Fat, total (g): 17, chol. (mg): 46, sat. fat (g): 6, carb. (g): 51, fiber (g): 13, pro. (g): 23, sodium (mg): 772, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.