Servings: 4 Prep 15 mins Cook 29 mins
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch bias slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 13 1/2 ounce can light or regular coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 extra-large baking potato, peeled and diced into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1. In a small, lidded pot, bring rice, 1/4 tsp of the salt and 2 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes or as per package directions. Remove from heat and keep covered.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 to 7 minutes, until translucent. Add chicken, ginger, garlic, cumin, turmeric (if desired), cayenne, cardamom and cloves; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar, scraping bottom of pan. Add in coconut milk, brown sugar, potato, peanuts and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes, until potato is cooked. Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
3. To serve, ladle curry over rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 513, Fat, total (g): 24, chol. (mg): 78, sat. fat (g): 7, carb. (g): 39, fiber (g): 2, pro. (g): 34, sodium (mg): 521, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.