1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for a Double-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten one portion of dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry circle around rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie pan or plate. Ease pastry into pie pan without stretching it; set aside.
2. For the filling, in a bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add apples; toss to coat. Add cheese and 4 tablespoons of the maple syrup; stir to combine. Transfer to pastry-lined pie pan. Drizzle with cream.
3. Trim pastry even with edge of pie pan. Roll the remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Cut slits in pastry. Place pastry circle on filling; trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie pan. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent overbrowning.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until apples are tender and pastry is golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack. Brush with 2 tablespoons maple syrup. If desired, sprinkle with pecans. Cool for 1 hour. Serve slightly warm.
1. In a bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time until all the dough is moistened (6 to 7 tablespoons total). Divide dough in half. Form each half into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten 1 dough ball. Roll from center to edges into a 12-inch circle. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin; unroll into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Fill as above. roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Continue as above.