- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups no-salt-added chicken broth
- 2 fully-cooked turkey or chicken sausage links, sliced 1/4-inch thick (6 ounces total)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and reduce the heat to medium-low; cook until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook and stir until the outside of the grains are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Coat the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the rice mixture, broth, and salt; stir to combine. Cover; cook on high-heat setting for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
3. Just before the rice is done, using the same skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stir the sausage, peas, Parmesan, butter, and pepper into the rice mixture. Turn off cooker; let mixture stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Stir before serving. Top with additional Parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 272, Fat, total (g): 11, chol. (mg): 34, sat. fat (g): 3, carb. (g): 29, Monounsaturated fat (g): 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, fiber (g): 1, sugar (g): 1, pro. (g): 14, vit. A (IU): 340, vit. C (mg): 4, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 12, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 432, Potassium (mg): 128, calcium (mg): 50, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.