- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1. In a large pot, cook bacon, stirring often, over medium heat until brown and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard fat.
2. Return pot to medium heat. Add the canola oil. Cook garlic in the canola oil for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add onion, fennel, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are softened and starting to brown.
3. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add the broth and corn; whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer. Cook 3 minutes. Stir in milk and heat through.
4. Remove pot from heat. Stir in the parsley and reserved bacon.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 159, Fat, total (g): 5, chol. (mg): 6, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 23, Monounsaturated fat (g): 2, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 2, sugar (g): 5, pro. (g): 7, vit. A (IU): 426, vit. C (mg): 11, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 3, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 51, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 473, Potassium (mg): 428, calcium (mg): 85, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.