- 3/4 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 - 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 mini pita bread rounds or 8 English muffins, split and toasted
- Spinach leaves and/or tomato slices
1. In a medium saucepan cook lentils in lightly salted boiling water for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small bowl stir together the tahini, 3 tablespoons water, lemon juice and honey. Stir in additional water to make of desired consistency. Set sauce aside.
3. Add oats, curry powder, cumin, salt, and egg to lentils in bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Use wet hands to shape lentil mixture into 8 2 1/2-inch patties. Add to skillet, in batches if necessary. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until browned and heated through. Serve in mini pita bread rounds or in toasted English muffins with spinach and tomato.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 232, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 23, sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 33, Monounsaturated fat (g): 3, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 2, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 7, sugar (g): 2, pro. (g): 11, vit. A (IU): 1069, vit. C (mg): 5, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 121, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 283, Potassium (mg): 335, calcium (mg): 50, iron (mg): 3, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.