To make these cute shortcakes, the dough is rolled into a rectangle, sprinkled with lemon peel and sugar, rolled up, sliced, and baked. The lemony spirals are superb with fresh strawberries and cream.
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Stir strawberries and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
3. In a second small bowl, combine lemon peel and 3 tablespoons of the sugar and stir until blended; set aside.
4. In large bowl, stir together biscuit mix and 2/3 cup of the milk until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a well-floured surface. Roll into an 18 x 8-inch rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Brush with remaining 1 tablespoon milk, then sprinkle with lemon-sugar mixture. Roll up, starting at a short end. Cut into 8 slices, each about 1 inch thick.
5. Place slices on baking sheet, reshaping to flatten slightly. Bake at 450 degrees F for 9 to 10 minutes or until golden.
6. While biscuits cool, beat heavy cream and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium-size bowl with an electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form.
7. Split biscuits in half horizontally. For each serving, place one biscuit bottom on plate and spoon a scant 1/4 cup strawberries over top; dollop 2 tablespoons whipped cream over strawberry slices. Cover with biscuit top and repeat with another layer of strawberries and whipped cream.