This classic coconut cake recipe is frosted with a fluffy white frosting made with whipped egg whites.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 9-inch round cake pans. Dust pans with flour, tapping out the excess.
2. Beat butter in a large bowl until creamy. Add sugar, beating well, until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Blend flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Add to batter, alternating with milk, beating thoroughly after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Divide batter equally among the prepared cake pans.
4. Bake layers at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool cakes completely in the pans on wire racks.Frosting:
5. Combine egg whites, sugar, 1/2 cup water, corn syrup and salt in heavy saucepan. Heat over very low heat, beating constantly with a mixer for 7 minutes until soft peaks form. Remove saucepan from heat. Add vanilla and lemon extracts; beat 1 minute.
6. Place one cake layer on a plate. Top with a little frosting; sprinkle with a little coconut. Stack with second layer; repeat. Top with last layer. Frost cake. Sprinkle remaining coconut over sides and top.