Chocolate cake layered with a cream cheese filling and topped with a creamy vanilla frosting make up this eye-catching dessert. A sprinkling of crushed chocolate sandwich cookies make it a kid-favorite recipe.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour; shake out any excess flour.Cake:
2. In a medium-size bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt together until well blended; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. On low speed, beat flour mixture into butter mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour; beat 1 minute. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 36 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks; let cool completely.Filling:
5. In a large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add confectioners sugar, then milk. Beat for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
6. When layers have cooled, trim off any crowned cake from the tops and discard. Cut each layer in half horizontally with a serrated knife. Place one cut layer on a cake stand and top with one-third of filling; spread evenly over top. Repeat with 2 more cake layers. Place last layer on top, cut side down. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until filling is set.Frosting:
7. In a large bowl, with mixer on high, beat heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Generously spread whipped cream all over cake, using the back of a spoon to make swirls and peaks on top. Place chopped cookies in a large bowl and carefully hold cake stand over bowl. With cupped hands, gently press cookie crumbs onto the sides of the cake to cover. Brush excess crumbs off stand before serving.
8. Oreo is a registered trademark of Kraft and is used with permission.