1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease two 9 x 2-inch-round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper rounds.
2. Combine flour, cinnamon, salt and cloves on sheet of waxed paper.
3. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses, ginger and lemon rind.
4. Mix together vinegar and baking soda in small bowl. Beat into butter mixture. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spread in prepared pans.
5. Bake in 375 degrees F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pan to wire racks to cool completely.
6. Meanwhile, prepare LemonButter Cream Frosting. Beat together butter or margarine at room temperature, grated lemon rind, and salt in medium-size bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in powdered sugar and milk until frosting is good spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups frosting.
7. Place one cake layer on serving platter. Spread top with about 3/4 cup frosting. Place second layer on top; spread top and sides with remaining frosting.