makes about 9 dozen.
1. Grease two 13 x 9 x 2-inch pans; line with waxed paper; grease paper.
2. Prepare two batches of Basic Holiday Cookie Dough, with the following changes: in one batch, substitute 1 teaspoon almond extract for vanilla; beat 1/2 cup almond paste with butter, margarine and sugar; add 1/4 cup milk with egg. Mix in a few drops of red food coloring and glaceed cherries.
3. Spread half the batter in each pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Let cool in pans on rack 10 minutes. Carefully remove from pans; peel off paper. Cool completely.
4. Prepare second batch of Basic Holiday Cookie dough, with the following changes: Substitute 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for vanilla; beat 1/4 cup almond paste with butter, margarine and sugar; stir 2 tablespoons milk into batter. Spread in one prepared 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Bake as above; cool.
5. Place one pink cake on baking sheet. Spread top with 1/4 cup apricot preserves. Top with white cake. Spread with remaining 1/4 cup apricot preserves. Top with remaining pink layer. Weight down overnight.
6. Melt 3 ounces semisweet chocolate. Spread over top. Let stand to harden; cut into 1-inch squares.