Makes 10 servings
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour (or line with wax or parchment paper) bottoms of two 8 x 2-inch round pans or one 8-inch springform pan.
2. In a food processor, pulse on and off to grind almonds until they are consistency of coarse meal.
3. Beat yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl on high speed until mixture thickens slightly and is lighter in color. Stir in almonds along with bread crumbs, zest and juice, cinnamon and almond extract.
4. In separate large bowl, whip egg whites with cream of tartar on meduim speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add in 1/4 cup sugar, beating on high speed, until stiff peaks form.
5. Use spatula to fold in 1/4 of the whites to lighten almond mixture, then gently fold in remaining whites.
6. Spread mixture evenly into pans. Lightly smooth top of almond mixture in pans, being careful not to press too hard.
7. Bake at 325 degrees F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes for round pans or 40 to 45 minutes for springform pan. Let cool completely in pans on rack; center will sink as it cools. Slide slim knife around torte to detach from pans. Level; invert torte before frosting with whipped cream.
1. Beat heavy cream and vanilla extract in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters. Add desired sugar or honey. Beat to desired consistency. (For coffee whipped cream, make whipped cream, adding 2 teaspoons instant coffee or espresso powder to heavy cream with vanilla. Use 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste.)