Yield: 6 servings plus leftovers Active Time 35 mins Total Time 35 mins
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 2 cups dry jasmine rice
- 2 1/2 cups red lentils
- 2 - 3 avocados, cubed
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Place a large skillet over medium-low heat and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add onions and stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally and adding a splash of water if the onions start to stick, until the onions are deeply browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions.
3. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Stir in lentils and cook 7 to 10 minutes. Drain.
4. Blend tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, and salt in a food processor.
5. Serve 2 cups each of the prepared rice and lentils with the caramelized onions, avocado, carrots, and tahini sauce.
Tip Then Try...
- Creamy Red Lentil Soup
Add 3 cups lentils and 2 cups rice to a blender with 2 cups broth, 1 clove garlic, 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Red Lentil and Rice Hummus
Blend 1/2 cup each lentils, rice, and tahini sauce with 1/4 cup lemon juice until smooth. Serve with crackers or veggies, or as a sandwich spread.
- Lentil and Rice Veggie Wrap
Mound an assortment of leftovers in the center of a large tortilla, top with tahini sauce, baby kale or lettuce, and wrap up.
- This recipe makes a lot of rice and lentils, so you can make the main dish and at least one variation.
Nutrition Facts Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 544, Fat, total (g): 26, sat. fat (g): 4, carb. (g): 68, fiber (g): 12, sugar (g): 10, pro. (g): 16, sodium (mg): 288, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.