Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Slow Cook 6 hrs on HIGH or 8 hours on LOW
- 2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced black pitted olives
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 6 biscuits(such as Pillsbury Grands) baked following package directions
1. Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place chicken thighs in slow cooker and season with Italian seasoning, garlic salt and black pepper. Scatter onion over chicken. Stir together tomatoes, broth and tapioca; pour over onions.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 1/2 hours or LOW for 7 1/2 hours. Stir in beans and olives and cook an additional 30 minutes. Remove bones.
4. To serve, stir in basil and spoon over biscuits.
Variation Chicken Mole Soft Tacos
Sweet & Tangy Chicken
- Replace Italian seasoning and black pepper with 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tsp chipotle
- chile powder and 1/2 tsp each ground
- cumin and cinnamon. Substitute 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans for cannellini beans. Eliminate olives and basil. Serve with 6 flour tortillas and Spanish rice, if desired.
Easiest-Ever Coq au Vin
- Substitute Italian seasoning, garlic salt and black pepper with 1/2 tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp allspice. Add 1 large chopped green pepper, 1 can (8 ounces) drained pineapple chunks, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce and 1 tbsp sugar when adding onion. Eliminate olives and basil. Serve over cooked angel hair pasta.
- Replace Italian seasoning with herbes de Provence and sliced onion with 2 cups thawed frozen pearl onions. Eliminate diced tomatoes, tapioca, beans, olives and basil. Substitute with 1 cup dry red wine and 2 tbsp tomato paste. Add 2 cups quartered white mushrooms and 2 large chopped carrots when adding onions. Serve over cooked egg noodles.
- Replace Italian seasoning and black pepper with 3 tsp curry powder and 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Add 1 lb peeled potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, when adding onion. Substitute 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas for cannellini beans. Eliminate olives and basil. Serve with cooked basmati rice and naan, if desired. Make it kid-friendly by reducing cayenne to a pinch.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 495, Fat, total (g): 19, chol. (mg): 136, sat. fat (g): 5, carb. (g): 33, fiber (g): 5, pro. (g): 44, sodium (mg): 941, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.