Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Cook 6 mins Slow Cook 6 hrs to 8 hrs HIGH/LOW
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound small potatoes, about 2 inches in diameter, quartered
- 1/4 pound peeled baby carrots
- 1 13.6 ounce can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large pitas or flatbreads, cut into wedges
- Chopped parsley, low-fat plain yogurt and lime wedges (optional)
1. Coat slow-cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with 1/4 tsp each of the salt and pepper and add to skillet. Saute 3 minutes per side.
3. Transfer beef to slow cooker. Layer in onion, potatoes and carrots. In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, curry, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder and cayenne. Pour over beef and vegetables in slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Gently stir in remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Serve over flatbread wedges with parsley, yogurt and lime, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 517, Fat, total (g): 17, chol. (mg): 67, sat. fat (g): 7, carb. (g): 50, fiber (g): 4, pro. (g): 41, sodium (mg): 589, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.