- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced or 4 slices pineapple, cut into chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut four 24x15-inch sheets of parchment paper. Fold each sheet in half, forming 15x12-inch rectangles. Cut a heart shape from one of the rectangles. Use this as a guide to cut 3 more hearts from the remaining rectangles. Set hearts aside.
2. In a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup butter and the brown sugar; set aside. In a medium bowl combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the 3 tablespoons butter, working it in with your fingertips until crumbly. Stir in milk and vanilla.*
3. Working with one at a time, unfold the parchment and spread 1/4 of the brown sugar mixture in the center on one side of the heart in a 4-inch circle. Arrange apple or pineapple atop the brown sugar mixture. Spoon 1/4 of the batter atop pineapple.
4. Starting at the top of the heart, make a 1/2-inch folded edge, creasing crisply. Working your way around again, make overlapping 1/2-inch folds. Twist the tip of the heart and tuck it under the packet. Place packets on a large baking sheet (they may overlap). Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. Invert the packets before opening.
- *If desired, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor. Cover and process until just combined. Add 3 tablespoons butter. Cover and process until mixture resemble coarse crumbs. Add milk and vanilla. Cover and process just until combined.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 418, Fat, total (g): 21, chol. (mg): 54, sat. fat (g): 13, carb. (g): 55, Monounsaturated fat (g): 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): 1, fiber (g): 2, sugar (g): 29, pro. (g): 5, vit. A (IU): 742, vit. C (mg): 3, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 62, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 420, Potassium (mg): 223, calcium (mg): 161, iron (mg): 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.