1. Soften 3 cups vanilla ice cream in medium-size bowl.
2. Toss together almonds and red and green glaceed cherries in small bowl. Fold into vanilla ice cream, adding 1/2 teaspoon of the almond extract. Working quickly, spread the ice cream mixture over the bottom and up the sides of 2-quart bowl. Place in freezer. After 2 hours, check ice cream, spreading further up sides of bowl to top edge, if possible. Freeze additional hour.
3. Finely crush 6 sandwich cookies, either in food processor or in plastic bag. Using rubber spatula, spread crumbs evenly up the sides of ice cream-lined bowl. Refreeze.
4. Soften remaining vanilla ice cream on counter for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain maraschino cherries, reserving liquid. Remove stems; coarsely chop cherries. With handheld mixer, beat cherry juice and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract into softened ice cream. Chop 6 remaining cookies. Fold cherries and cookie pieces into softened ice cream. Transfer mixture to bowl lined with ice cream and cookies, smoothing top. Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap; freeze overnight.
5. To unmold, fill sink or large pot with warm water. Carefully lower bowl into water so water does not run onto top of ice cream. Remove waxed paper or plastic wrap; invert onto serving tray. Place in freezer until ready to serve. Garnish with cherries and mint leaves, if desired.