Few autumn desserts compare to baked spiced apples topped with scoops of vanilla ice cream. The cooking liquid becomes a warm sauce and melts the ice cream to the perfect consistency.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.Sauce:
2. In small saucepan, bring to boiling juice, vinegar, ginger, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom; simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat.Filling:
3. In small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in bread crumbs and sugar to coat. Stir in raisins. Remove from heat.Apples:
4. Place apples, cut side up, in baking dish just large enough to hold apples (about 13 x 9 x 2 inches). Spoon filling, about 2 tablespoons, over each apple. Spoon small amount of sauce over each apple. Pour remaining sauce into baking dish.
5. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree F oven until apples are very tender, about 35 minutes. Remove apples; keep warm. Reserve cooking liquid in baking dish. (If cooking liquid is more than 1/2 cup, pour into small saucepan; boil until reduced to 1/2 cup.)
6. Place each apple half in small serving dish. Place 1/2-cup ice cream on each apple. Drizzle with sauce.