- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1/2 cup dried red cherries
- 1/2 cup snipped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup regular brown rice
- 3 tablespoons steel-cut oats
- 3 tablespoons cracked wheat
- 2 tablespoons regular (not quick-cooking) pearled barley
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Milk and/or desired flavor yogurt (optional)
- Brown sugar (optional)
- Toasted sliced almonds (optional)
1. In a 3-1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker combine water, apple juice, dried cherries, dried apricots, rice, steel-cut oats, cracked wheat, pearled barley, cornmeal, cinnamon, and salt (cooker may not quite be half full).
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 hours. Stir before serving. Add a bit of boiling water, if necessary, if too thick.
3. If desired, serve hot cereal topped with milk, yogurt, brown sugar and/or almonds. Cereal can be chilled up to 2 days and reheated; thin with milk or water to desired consistency.
Tip For Easy Cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 155, Fat, total (g): 1, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): , carb. (g): 37, Monounsaturated fat (g): , Polyunsaturated fat (g): , Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 17, pro. (g): 3, vit. A (IU): 486, vit. C (mg): 1, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 4, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 81, Potassium (mg): 238, calcium (mg): 30, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.