1. Prepare Basic White Bread through Step 5. After punching down dough, divide dough in half.
2. On lightly floured surface, roll half of dough into 12-inch rope. Cut into six 2-inch lengths. Repeat with other half of dough.
3. Cup your hand over one piece of dough; roll dough into smooth ball on lightly floured surface. Repeat with remaining dough to form total of 12 rolls.
4. Place the rolls on lightly greased baking sheets. If desired, cut a cross into the top of each roll with a single-edge razor blade or sharp thin knife. Cover; let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, until doubled in volume, 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Brush egg-water mixture over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, sesame seeds or keep the rolls plain.
6. Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and crusty. Remove with spatula to wire rack to cool briefly.
1. Sprinkle dry yeast over 1/4 cup warm water in measuring cup. Gently mix to moisten yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes to soften; mixture will be foamy. Stir together flour and salt in a bowl. Pour yeast mixture into flour. Add remaining 1 cup warm water; stir to form ball. If too dry, add a little more water; if too wet, add a little more flour. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, 10 minutes. Grease bowl with butter or margarine. Place dough in bowl; turn to coat. Cover bowl with clean towel or plastic wrap. Let dough rise in warm place until doubled in volume, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. To test, stick finger in dough; dent should remain when finger is removed. Punch dough down.