- 3 pounds small red new potatoes
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed and at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large pot combine the potatoes and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 1 minute; remove from heat. Whisk in the milk, cream cheese, chives, remaining 3/4 tsp. salt, and the pepper until smooth.
3. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Cook over low heat, shaking the pot every few seconds, until the potatoes look dry, about 30 seconds. Add butter mixture and begin to mash with a potato masher until the potatoes are roughly smashed or to desired consistency. Cover and keep warm.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 291, Fat, total (g): 18, chol. (mg): 48, sat. fat (g): 11, carb. (g): 30, Monounsaturated fat (g): 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 4, pro. (g): 5, vit. A (IU): 623, vit. C (mg): 16, Thiamin (mg): , Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 2, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 35, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): , sodium (mg): 381, Potassium (mg): 844, calcium (mg): 72, iron (mg): 1, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.