Servings: 6 Prep 15 mins Cook 40 mins
- 1 pound brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 1/2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 yellow or red peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
1. In a large saucepan, combine 4 cups water, lentils, potatoes, onions, diced tomatoes, salt, garam masala, cumin and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add yellow peppers and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
2. Stir in cilantro and sprinkle almonds over top.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 475, Fat, total (g): 10, chol. (mg): , sat. fat (g): 1, carb. (g): 75, fiber (g): 22, pro. (g): 27, sodium (mg): 786, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.