No plates or forks required! Purchased pie crusts make these hand pies a breeze, but of course, feel free to use homemade dough.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium saucepan combine the blueberries, raspberries and sugar and bring to a boil. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch and the juice and mix well. As soon as the fruit mixture boils add the juice mixture and stir constantly for 2 minutes. You may need to lower the heat. Remove and allow the mixture to come to room temperature. You can place it in the fridge to hasten the process.
3. Place the first circle of pie dough on your work surface. Roll out just a bit. Use a biscuit cutter and cut seven 3-4 inch circles from the dough. You may need to re-roll the dough for the last two circles. Repeat with the second piecrust.
4. Place a tablespoon of the cooled filling in the center of each dough circle. Spread the beaten egg around the inside edge of the dough and fold closed, creating a half moon. Using a fork, press the edges to seal well. Cut small slits in the top of each pie with sharp knife point (this allows steam to escape). Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with a bit of sugar.
5. Place the hand pies on the baking sheets and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.