Makes 14 mini-cakes. Prep: 4 hours. Bake: at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
3. Spoon 1/3 cup batter into each of 14 mini gingerbread boy molds, 4-3/4 x 4-1/4 x 1-1/4-inch. If you have fewer than 14, repeat.
4. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 15 to 20 minutes, until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Remove cakes from pans to rack to cool.
5. Prepare Royal Icing. Divide into batches. Tint frosting different colors, leaving one batch white.To decorate
6. Drummer: Frost cake. Use marshmallow-half for drum, other half for hat; black string licorice for drumsticks; mini-marshmallows for drumstick tips. Pipe on icing for decorations. Place tiny star on hat.
7. Angel: Attach angel wing cookies (from 5-ounce package) to back of cakes with icing. Frost as desired. Pipe on icing for decorations. Use green circle candy with 2 mini red hots for wreath.
8. Snowman: Frost as desired. Pipe icing dots all over snowman for snow. Use 2 licorice coins for crown of hat, chocolate wafer trimmed to 1-1/2 inches for brim. Use trimmed orange jelly candy for nose, and pretzel for broom handle if desired. Pipe on other decorations.
9. Chocolate-Covered Snowman: Pour Chocolate Ganache (recipe follows) over cakes set on rack placed over waxed paper; smooth with spatula. Place red licorice in hand; pipe on stripes with icing. Pipe on icing for other decorations.
1. Combine butter, corn syrup, water, and salt in small microwave-safe bowl. Cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Microwave on 100% power 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, to boiling. Stir in chocolate pieces until melted, smooth. (Can be done in saucepan over low heat.)
1. Using meringue powder, prepare 1 recipe Royal Icing according to directions, using 1 tablespoon less water.