Baked in loaf pans, this moist cake, with its broiled coconut topping, makes a tasty gift for coworkers and neighbors.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two 5-3/4 x 3 x 2-1/8-inch mini loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and salt. Set aside.
3. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add dates, shortening, baking soda and vanilla. Stir until shortening is melted. Remove from heat; stir into dry ingredients. Add egg and beat with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are combined. Stir in walnuts.
4. Divide between prepared loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack; cool completely.Frosting:
5. Heat broiler. In a small saucepan, melt butter and sugar. Stir in cream and coconut. Spread frosting equally over the two loaves. Broil for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes until lightly browned. Let loaves cool completely.
6. To present as a gift, place cooled cake in decorative tin or wrap in pretty paper.