Servings: 24 Prep 20 mins Bake 350°F 30 mins to 35 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 egg whites
- 3 cups packed coarsely grated peeled carrots (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 8 ounces Neufchatel cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Prepare cake:
2. Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl.
3. Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar, applesauce and vegetable oil in large bowl. Beat 1 minute with electric mixer. Add egg whites; beat 1 minute. Stir in flour mixture. Stir in carrots and walnuts. Turn into pan.
4. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pan on wire rack. Prepare frosting:
5. Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, rind and vanilla in deep medium-size bowl for 1 minute. Beat in confectioners sugar, 1 cup at a time, until good spreading consistency, adding additional confectioners sugar if needed. Spread frosting over top of cake in pan.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 24; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 220, Fat, total (g): 7, chol. (mg): 8, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 37, fiber (g): 1, pro. (g): 4, sodium (mg): 171, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.