Servings: 6 Yield: 5 cups Prep 10 mins Start to Finish 45 mins
- 3 cups dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons light butter with canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-pupose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese
- 1/2 6 ounce container plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 cups onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
1. Cook macaroni as directed on package. Drain and return to pot; keep warm. While macaroni cooks, in a medium saucepan melt the light butter with canola oil over medium heat. Stir the flour into the butter. Whisk in the milk all at once. Cook and stir until milk is thickened and bubbly. Cook 1 minute more. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheese; stir until smooth. Stir in the yogurt. Add sauce to macaroni and stir to combine.
2. To caramelize onions: Cook onions in olive oil until browned and caramel colored. Stir in salt and water. Cook until water has evaporated. Stir caramelized onions into macaroni and cheese.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 424, Fat, total (g): 14, chol. (mg): 34, sat. fat (g): 7, carb. (g): 55, Monounsaturated fat (g): 5, Polyunsaturated fat (g): 1, Trans fatty acid (g): , fiber (g): 3, sugar (g): 8, pro. (g): 20, vit. A (IU): 427, vit. C (mg): 6, Thiamin (mg): 1, Riboflavin (mg): , Niacin (mg): 4, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg): , Folate (µg): 159, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg): 1, sodium (mg): 251, Potassium (mg): 333, calcium (mg): 381, iron (mg): 2, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.