Servings: 6 Prep 25 mins Slow Cook on HIGH for 51/2 hours or LOW for 8 hours
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchini, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 fennel bulb (about 11/4 lbs), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 pkg (14 oz) uncooked mild chicken sausage
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1. Coat a 51/2- or 6-quart slow cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Scatter uncooked rice over bottom. In a medium-size bowl, toss zucchini with 1/8 tsp each of the salt and pepper and 2 tbsp of the bread crumbs. Layer half the zucchini over rice.
2. In a second medium bowl, toss sliced fennel with remaining 1/8 tsp each of the salt and pepper and remaining 2 tbsp bread crumbs. Layer half over zucchini.
3. Remove half the sausage links from their casings and crumble over fennel layer. In a small bowl, toss cheese with cornstarch and scatter half over sausage layer.
4. Repeat layering with remaining zucchini, fennel, sausage and cheese. Whisk together chicken broth and mustard and pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 51/2 hours or LOW for 71/2 to 8 hours. (Keep an eye on slow cooker for last 1/2 hour; if edges of gratin begin to get overly brown, stop cooking.)
Tip For easy cleanup:
- Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 6; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 543, Fat, total (g): 22, chol. (mg): 111, sat. fat (g): 10, carb. (g): 54, fiber (g): 7, pro. (g): 33, sodium (mg): 1057, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.