1. In a medium saucepan, bring broth and 1 cup water to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer.
2. Heat oil in large heavybottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook 1 minute, stirring to coat. Add wine; cook 1 minute or until wine is absorbed.
3. Add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth mixture; cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until all broth is absorbed. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking in the same manner for 20 to 25 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
4. Stir in butternut squash and heat through. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, salt, pepper and sage. Serve immediately.
5. EDITOR'S NOTE: For a heartier dish, stir in shredded cooked chicken or cooked Italian seasoned chicken sausage, sliced into coins.