Servings: 4 Yield: 12 falafel Prep 20 mins Cook 16 mins
Spicy Yogurt Sauce
- 1 6 ounce container plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pitas, halved
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
Make It Spicy Yogurt Sauce
1. Combine yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, cayenne and salt in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until using. Falafel
2. Combine chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, garlic, scallions, flour, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper in a food processor. Run until well combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Form into 12 falafel balls.
3. Heat oven to 200 degrees F. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add 6 falafel to pan and brown 2 minutes per side, about 8 minutes total. Transfer to 200 degrees F oven to keep warm. Repeat with second batch.
4. Serve falafel in a pita half with tomato, cucumber and Spicy Yogurt Sauce.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 4; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 416, Fat, total (g): 11, chol. (mg): 4, sat. fat (g): 2, carb. (g): 62, fiber (g): 11, pro. (g): 17, sodium (mg): 967, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.