Servings: 8 Prep 10 mins Bake 350°F 45 mins Cook 15 mins Stand 30 mins
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 loag French bread (about 16 inches), cubed (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions (about 1-1/2 pounds), sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Whisk together eggs, milk and nutmeg in large bowl. Add bread cubes. Let bread mixture stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add onion, sugar, salt and pepper; cook over medium-low heat until onion is very tender, 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
4. Spoon half of bread mixture into prepared baking pan. Top with half of onion mixture. Repeat with remaining bread and onion mixtures. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake in 350 degrees F oven 45 minutes or until puffed and golden.
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 8; Amount Per Serving: cal. (kcal): 397, Fat, total (g): 18, chol. (mg): 141, sat. fat (g): 8, carb. (g): 40, fiber (g): 3, pro. (g): 19, sodium (mg): 733, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.