MAKES: 4 mini loaves. PREP: 15 minutes. BAKE: at 325 degrees for 35 minutes.
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat four 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 2-inch loaf pans with nonstick spray or nonstick spray with flour.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in medium-size bowl.
3. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until smooth, 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, along with vanilla, beating well after each egg. On low speed, add flour mixture, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Add nuts and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly among pans, a heaping cup in each.
4. Bake loaves at 325 degrees F for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let loaves cool in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes. Invert loaves onto rack; remove pans. Cool completely, turning right side up.
5. Microwave remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips and shortening in a glass bowl on high power for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Spoon a tablespoon on top of each loaf; press in a walnut half. Let stand or refrigerate to harden slightly.