Hollowed-out orange halves are filled with a frozen concoction of ice cream, juice concentrate, and orange extract for a delicious low-calorie frozen dessert.
1. Slice oranges crosswise in half. Scoop out flesh of orange and reserve for snacks or salads.
2. Freeze orange shells for 20 minutes or until frozen.
3. Pour orange juice concentrate into medium-size bowl; freeze just until slushy, 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place ice cream in refrigerator to soften, 15 to 30 minutes.
5. Whisk about 1/2 cup of ice cream and the orange extract into slushy concentrate until well blended. Whisk in remaining ice cream just until smooth.
6. Immediately spoon ice-cream mixture into empty frozen orange shells. Return filled orange shells to freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight.
7. To serve, remove filled orange halves from freezer and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes to soften. Garnish with long strips of orange rind if desired.