These elegant tarts make an impressive dessert but are easy enough for a beginning baker. Thinly sliced pears are arranged on circles of pie pastry and baked.
1. In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar and salt. Cut butter into pieces. With a pastry blender or your fingertips, work butter into flour mixture until texture of coarse meal.
2. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork, until mixture begins to hold together. Gather dough together and divide in half. Flatten into two discs, wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. On lightly floured surface, roll out one pastry disc to 1?4-inch thickness. Using a 3-1/4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 6 circles of dough, rerolling as needed. Transfer rounds to an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough for a total of 12 circles.
4. Heat oven to 425 Degrees F.Topping:
5. Gently toss pear slices, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the flour, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Arrange 6 pear slices on each round, fanning out and overlapping slightly. Evenly sprinkle tartlets with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
6. Bake at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and pears are tender. Serve warm or at room temperature.