Reduced-fat sour cream replaces the butter in the shortcake, and the whipped cream in the filling, to lower the fat in this summer dessert recipe. You'll love the tangy sour cream with the colorful raspberries and peaches.
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. In large bowl, mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In small bowl, mix egg, sour cream, milk and rind. Make well in flour mixture; add egg mixture to well. With fork, gently stir just until evenly moistened and dough comes together.
2. With floured hands, pat dough into 7-inch round on baking sheet. With floured knife, cut into 8 wedges (do not separate). Brush with water, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
3. Bake in 425 degree F oven 25 minutes, until toothpick tests clean.Peach Melba:
4. Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix peaches, sugar and lemon juice. Keep raspberries separate.
5. When shortcake is baked, with a knife, recut into wedges to separate. Remove to wire rack to cool.Sour Cream Filling:
6. Add berries to peach mixture. In small bowl, mix sour cream and sugar. Cut each shortcake wedge horizontally in half. Place each bottom half on platter. Spoon 1/2 cup peach melba mixture onto each. Spoon 2 tablespoons sour cream filling on fruit. Cover with top half of shortcake, cut side down. Serve immediately. Makes 8 servings.